FASEB Excellence in Science Award
The FASEB Excellence in Science Award is given in recognition of outstanding achievement by women in biological science. Recipients are women whose career achievements have contributed significantly to further our understanding of a particular discipline by excellence in research.
The award recipient will be expected to present an Excellence in Science Award Lecture at the annual meeting of a FASEB Member Society. The recipient may choose the topic of her lecture and the meeting at which she will present the lecture. A presentation of the award will take place in conjunction with the lecture. In addition to a $10,000 unrestricted research grant, the award covers the recipients travel to/from the meeting, hotel expenses, complimentary meeting registration, and a plaque in recognition of the award.
2018 Award Announcement
Lynne Maquat, PhD has been chosen to receive the FASEB 2018 Excellence in Science Award. Read the press release.
The 2019 award nomination cycle will begin on January 2, 2018 (nomination form).
The 2019 award nomination deadline is March 1, 2018 at 11:59 PM ET.
The recipient of the 2019 FASEB Excellence in Science Award will be chosen in June 2018.
Nomination Criteria and Eligibility
- Nominators and nominees must be a member of at least one FASEB Member Society but do not have to be members of the same society
- Recipients of the award are required to present an Excellence in Science Award Lecture at a scientific meeting of her choice in the award year
- All nominations must be submitted on the Excellence in Science Award nomination form (link provided at the bottom of the page when nominations are being accepted)
- Individuals who have been nominated for the Excellence in Science Award in the past must be re-nominated for consideration in the 2019 award cycle
Note: The nomination form must be filled out in one session so it is essential that nominators have all information and documents available before beginning the process. All attachments to the nominee form must be in PDF format and use the following file name structure:
NOMINEE SURNAME Nomination.pdf, NOMINEE SURNAME CV.pdf, NOMINEE SURNAME Reprint 1.pdf, etc.
The Excellence in Science Award Committee will evaluate the nominations on the following criteria:
Note: Nomination packages should address these criteria
- Scientific achievements including landmark discoveries, high impact publications, and scientific leadership
- Training of students and postdoctoral fellows including impact on careers and teaching efforts
- Contributions to the broader scientific community, such as leadership in professional organizations, university service and leadership, and public outreach
1. Nomination letter, setting forth in detail:
- Contributions to the field that represent the nominee’s outstanding achievement in science
- Evidence of leadership
- Evidence of mentorship
- Evidence of national recognition
- Honors and awards
- Synopsis of selected bibliography
2. Complete curriculum vitae documenting:
- All publications
- Leadership roles
- Honors and recognition
- Grant awards
3. Five nominee reprints demonstrating most significant contributions
4. Three letters of support from the nominee’s peers illustrating impact on the field
5. Three letters of recommendation from trainees illustrating mentorship and impact on careers
Note: The numbers of documents to be submitted are exact. Additional documents will not be accepted and fewer documents than the numbers specified will be considered an incomplete nomination.
“Recognizing the Research Accomplishments of Women Scientists”